Giants remain winless after eight-goal defeat at hands of Adelaide

The Giants remain winless in the Super Netball season following a 59-51 defeat at the hands of the Adelaide Thunderbirds at Brisbane’s Nissan Arena.

Kate Shimmin was outstanding for the Thunderbirds, while Lenize Potgieter had the measure of the Giants defence in the circle, ending the afternoon with 43/45 and slotting a Super Shot for good measure.

After an early flourish near the start of the contest, the Giants found themselves chasing the game and went to the Super Shot to try and bridge the margin. But Jo Harten (6/13) and Kiera Austin (2/9) weren’t able to find their range when they needed to, while Adelaide were content to keep the score ticking over for an eight-goal win.

The Thunderbirds dropped their first match to the West Coat Fever and Shimmin said it was cause for some reflection ahead of their round-two encounter with the Giants.


“It was really good after coming off a pretty terrible loss last week. We had to have a good look at ourselves. We really came together and I couldn’t be more proud of the girls or the club,” Shimmin told Nine.

Jo Harten struggled to find her range.

Jo Harten struggled to find her range.Credit:Getty

The Giants lost their opener to the Swifts and must now regroup in a hurry. They play the Fever on Tuesday, giving them just a two-day turnaround as part of the compacted Super Netball schedule.

The Thunderbirds were out of the gates quickly to establish a three-goal lead but some turnovers and hot outside shooting from Harten would help the Giants go on a run and turn the contest around in a matter of minutes.

The Sydneysiders would set up a 19-14 lead at the first break and seemed well on their way to opening their account in the Super Netball season.

But Adelaide would roar in the second quarter, with a Super Shot to Horjus helping Adelaide to turn the tables and race out to a five-point lead. They would eventually turn in a 19-8 quarter to be firmly in command at 33-27 by halftime.

The Giants rallied in the third quarter and were able to hang tough. Adelaide couldn’t extend their six-goal lead but the Giants couldn’t peg it back either, with a 12-12 quarter keeping things interesting going into the final term.

Adelaide had been in control for all but a five-minute stretch in the final term and were desperate to close it out. The Giants were able to close before more clutch shooting from Horjus helped the Thunderbirds kick clear late and collect their first win of the season.

Most Viewed in Sport

Leave a reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>